Saturday, June 9, 2007

On more of a personal note....

I haven't blogged in a while, mostly due to the fact I had my lovely cousin visiting for a couple of weeks and then work is increasing on top of that.

A little about my cousin and her strength, which I absolutely admire.
She was born some odd 23 years ago and she's become this medical wonder, both in Europe and in the USA.
At birth she was diagnosed with a heart defect, and not just a simple one, but one where there were holes between her heart compartments. Not faulty valves, but holes between the compartments of her heart. They patched that up, and a couple of years go by.
Then her mother always knew she wasn't quite ok, but doctors told her she was being hysterical.
Within 2 years it was discovered that my cousin was born with water on her head. Because too much time had gone by, it is now obvious as her left eye drifts off. She got a shunt and they hoped all would be well by then.
In regards to her heart, she also has another problem on top of the previous mentioned heart defect. She has an extra nerve in her heart, that will give her an extra beat. To me it sounded like a ghost beat immediately after the initial beat.
I too forget to mention that she was born with one leg slightly shorter than the other, and one foot smaller than the other. This is obvious when she walks and obvious when one looks at her back as it is now becoming curved, as if she had scoliosis.
At the age of about 20 she noticed she couldn't hear very well, so the doctors took a look inside of her ears, tested for hearing etc. etc. They discovered a tumor inside of her ear canal. The good thing was, that it was benign, and only on one side.
She went for surgery for that, but lost the whole inside of her ear, so now she is deaf on one side and had poor hearing on the other side.
Just about 2 years ago, she was unable to hold down much food anymore, and she had to go in for surgery. They then discover that her stomach had sustained tremendously stunted growth since the age of two and her lower intestines were all jammed together on one side.
They operated on her, and enlarged her stomach and removed her gallbladder, and moved the colon to the other side so it'd be more or less equal within her abdomen.
She has food allergies, such as potatoes and many many other things. If she eats certain things, the inside of her mouth will brake out in wounds.
She also has sun allergy, so that if she goes out in the sun, without any sun protection she'll get rashes all over.
This is just a part of her medical history that I know of, that have become obvious to me. I know that there are times when she can't keep any food down and it'll either come up or down.
She's a tough cookie though, and to my amazement she is one of the most tenuous young women around.
She knows herself better than anyone, and I do wish her all the best in her life. She deserves a great life

It makes my life seem absolutely wonderful, it helps me appreciate my tremendously good health. Yes indeed I'm one of those I never have to see inside of a doctors office

No comments: